Salt (Food and Ice Melt)

... Comments

2
Bad

If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances. Severe electrolyte imbalances can lead to muscle spasm or even congestive heart failure.

Salt used to melt ice can stick to paws and later get ingested while the animal is cleaning itself. Research by the American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Animal Hospital Association suggests that exposure to salts and salt-based ice melting products can cause dogs severe dermatitis, inflammation of the paws, and serious gastrointestinal problems.

Was this helpful for you?   Yes   No

The data represented on this page represents common agreed upon levels of toxicity by the internet community. While it may be factual, you should always check with your veterinarian in the case of a suspected ingestion.