Mushrooms

3
Very Bad

Wild mushrooms can contain toxins that cause symptoms up to and including death. Some backyard mushrooms that may spring up after a rainstorm can be toxic, so try to pluck them early.

According to Dr. Mike Richards, DVM, "Amanita phalloides is the most commonly reported severely toxic species of mushroom in the US but other Amanita species are toxic. They can cause severe liver disease and neurologic disorders. The recommendation is to induce vomiting when these mushrooms are ingested and to give activated charcoal, as well. Supportive treatment for liver disease may also be necessary."

1 out of 1 people found this useful or accurate. Was this helpful for you?   Yes   No

The data represented on this page represents common agreed upon levels of toxicity by the internet community. While it may be factual, you should always check with your veterinarian in the case of a suspected ingestion.